Friday, January 06, 2006

am lift

Did pretty much my normal lift routine this am. I skipped the medicine ball work because it was really busy and there were people everywhere. I didn't want to loose the ball and kill someone w/ it, so I just skipped it and did an extra set of the ab routine instead. I also up-ed the weight on lunges. I think the lunge is the #1 best cycling lift there is. Think about it: it is multi-joint (works the toe knuckles, ankle, knee and hip) and builds on every muscle in your lower body (feet through lower back). It is a direct weight bearing adapation of riding in a stand up or climbing position. I think it's a great excercise for cycling. Better than sqaut for my money. I'm still doing wussy weight on sqaut (105lbs for 3x6's), but I think the key is to do it real slow. quality of the lift is key.

1 comment:

Randy Lewandowski said...

When I was doing Muscle Endurence work last winter I think I was doing right around 115 pounds at 5-6 sets at 45 reps per set. These sets were SUPER long and my riding the next day is a suffer fest.
You make a good point about the squats versus the lunges. Since I have some great research tools here in the Library I'm going to research this question in the Sports and Science journals.