Thursday, January 26, 2006

Tough CX

I did a solo cross ride over to and around Cascades Park this am. For those of you who follow, that was the venue of the last B-Town CX race. BAsically, I made a roughly 8 min loop that included some hard packed off road, a killer hard pack/broken limestone climb and road.
The Climb : this is a .2 mile climb that goes up next to a water fall. It is hard packed dirt, but with big broken chunks of limestone and roots on it. It is tough. And, mind you, my easiest gear is a 46x25. It gains 85 feet in the .2 miles, which as my Polar software calculates is 7.5% grade. That's a decent grade regardless, but add in the rock/root obsticals, that it's dirt AND my gearing, it makes for a tough loop. I used to road section to recover before doing it again. I think I did 4 loops. Maybe 5; I went by time, so I'm not 100% sure.
Anywho, it was hella cold (24*) and my bottle froze. I had to screw the lid off and drink that way, which as it turns out is pretty hard while riding and especially when you are trying super hard to not spill on yourself as it will turn to ice as well.
Some big fat dude in a humongiod truck yelled at me for "riding in the middle of the road." I flipped him off and he waved me back, probably thinking I wouldn't come back. I did. (note: he had cut me off to turn right as I was riding on the right side of the road [passenger side of his truck], forcing me to eighter a) stop behind him or b) go around him on the left [driver side], I went around, which is why I was in the "middle of the road." Oh and when he did turn over in front of me, it was, of course w/ no signal) He got out and before he could say anything I spouted "you got turn signals on that thing Boss Hog?" He mumbled through one of his many chins "ye ain't sposed to be ridin in da middle o da street." I said "I'm right where I'm supposed to be, use your turn signals fat ass." I turned and rode off and he was all shaking his fist and yelling like the dumb fat hillbilly he is. Fuck him.
Although, I realize I need to curb my temper on the bike. I'm not so much worried about myself, but when I'm out representing sponsors (which I'm not right now as I can't afford Tortuga winter gear), I need to not have occurances like these.

3 comments:

Tim Green said...

Hey Adam. Is Blomington more cyclist friendly over all vs when you lived in Muncie....other than the idiot this morning. I got into quite a few confrontations last year and got yelled at more than I can count it seems.

I kicked and dented a door last year when a fat idiot was crowding me into the curb and yelling out the window for me to get hell off the road. I was in traffic so I was able to keep going even though he was trying to chase me, lol.

But I too try to keep my cool as to not give us cyclists and our cycling club a bad rap.

adamrodkey said...

Yeah, I would say B-Town is more cyclist friendly, overall. There are idiots everywhere, but there are just so many cyclists down here that motorists have no choice but to deal w/ them.

Randy Lewandowski said...

That's the funniest story I've heard in a long time!
We've all been in situations like this, most of time I just bit my tongue and just keep riding. But, I've also flipped off MANY deserving drivers. My only real fear is their retaliation as they have a huge car and it's just me and my little tiny bike.

Randy