Monday, February 13, 2006

Day off

I stayed in bed untill 9:00am today. I think ne owrk outs for a coup0le days will do me some good right now. I'll probably take off tomorrow too, but I may take Lindsay over to the Nebo Ridge (Knobstone) trail in the Hoosier National Forest Wed. to do some MTBing. This trail is ~9 mile out & back (so, 18 mile total). It's a fast trail overall, but w/ a couple good climbs. The downhills are fast. I heard it's dry over there (Nashville/Story, IN), so we may check it. I think it would be good for her to see some "real trail," as Wapahani trail is pretty tame, really. Wed. is looking to be about 51* and cloudy, so that's not too bad. Looking back on my calendar, I came down here last year on March 10th and rode Nebo to get a few MTB miles in my legs before the season started. Also cool note, on Feb 12th, 2005 me Zach and Shane came down and rode with Ryan to Nashville via Bear Wallow hill. That's a big ride anytime and we did it mid Feb. Accordig to the file from my Polar it was 56* ave temp that day. I can't say I specifically remember it, but the watch is usually pretty close to actual temp when it's on my handlebar.
Note from yesterday's race: I got lapped only by Matt Batton and JL Serriere, and there's no shane in getting it from those two, but when they were going by JLS flatted and pulled out, so I decided to jump on MB's wheel for as long as I could. I hung w/ him for about 3/4 of a lap, but man he is fast. And fluid. He just flows. Not to sound like a hippy, but it's like his bike is an extension of him. Anytime I'd make the smallest error of line or cost through a corner, he'd gap me. It's good to ride behind guys like that to learn what they do. One thing I noticed is that if he has to brake for a corner, he stands up and hammers out of it, rather than continues his coast and recover a bit.
He's like: coast-brake-hammer
I'm more like: coast-brake-coast-pedal
Seems like short interval work is the key to doing this sucessfully. Although MB and JLS have always been known to smoke weed all season (all year) and still dominate. Who knows?

1 comment:

Randy Lewandowski said...

I know I did a bunch of long rides in Feb. of last year. Weird winter, cold Dec., warm January, and it's looking like the entire Month of Feb. is back to the cold stuff.