Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Hard outside (summer-ish) ride

Today Ryan and Tim and i planned on doing a good outdoor ride. We left around 9:00 am did the North Shore ride. This is among the hardest rides around here and I had planned on avoiding North Shore Dr. until April or so, but I got vetoed. Fine. We went out and had a full-on RS summer ride. That's going 24-27mph the whole way (minus hills), killing it. I wasn't feeling great when we left and spent the first 10-15 minutes coming up w/ my excuse for when I got dropped. I was THAT sure I would be shelled. I rode and felt like a million bucks once we got going. RS did most of the pulling, but I mixed it up a little on the way in on hwy 45 through The Yellowood St. Forest section of hills. And I've felt great all day.
I'm not crazy about going close to 30mph on someones wheel this time of year though. Due to the cold I'm always either wiping my nose or screwing w/ my clothing (tights running down, collar needs turned up/down, zipper needs adjusted, whatever) and going that fast with a couple of inches between you and the guy in front of you is dangerous no matter what, but one hand on the bars and the other messing with cloths or nose wiping makes it way worse. I have full confidence in riding RS's wheel, but still, it's scetchy.
Hopefully I feel this good Sunday in Ohio. Really, I felt and rode great today.

3 comments:

Randy Lewandowski said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Randy Lewandowski said...

Oh how I remember the suffer-fest's of hanging onto the wheel of RS in the early spring while trying not to cough up a lung and getting comfortable for the first of the year in the red zone of my HR.
People I trust to hang on their wheel at 27-30 mph: Adam, RS, Big Timing Boy, Ox-head, Big Zake, Reeso, Joshy, Danny, and Jake.
I think this kind of ride will really help you for the OVR.

adamrodkey said...

You must not have ridden on Danny's wheel lately. He's captain sketcho. Not the side to side kind of sketch, but inconstent speed kind of sketch. I'm w/ you on all the rest though.