Sunday, February 26, 2006

Swim meet; nice day, good ride

Last night we went to the NCAA Big 10 swim meet at the IU pool. It was cool to see the fastest Big 10 swimmers, which are, basically, the fastest guy in the world. There were several olympic swimmers in the meet. The times were crazy fast. IU won by a pretty big margin.
Today Dan and Josh Prater came down to ride. It turned out to be a really nice day. It got to around (but just under) 40*, but w/ no clouds at all. It felt plenty warm. We rode a little over 40miles (~42) and climbed a little over 2000 feet. We did a ride I've been doing this season (out hwy 45, across South Shore Dr. and in), but came in a different way. The way we came in added some mileage and 1 huge climb. We came in on a road I've only ever gone out on, so I've ridden the road several times, but always been going the other direction (I'm east bound on it normally). Going west on that road (Sample Road) is a monster climb. You don't really notice how big the hill is when you're going down it because you're going so fast. It's big. It was a good ride and I felt great. I was afraid I wouldn't,as I got crap sleep last night due to a bad stomach. After the swim meet Linds and I went to grab soem food becasue it was about 10:00 and I ahdn't eaten since about 1:00. We went to La Chareada mexican joint. A lot of people I know say it's the best Mexican in town. It was definately good, but I got one of the veg entrees that had nacho chees sauce with it. It was COVERED in nacho cheese sauce. I eat pretty good overall, so when I ingest something along the lines of a couple bean burritos covered in probably 1 cup of cheese, it's a shock to my system. I developed a bad stomach ache that kept meup most of the night whinning. I expected to feel like and ride like crap today, but I ended up doing the exact opposite. I pulled a majority of the ride and it was a little windy. So, good weather and a good ride.
I've been watching Mardi Gras on the nola.com bourbocam. It looks like The Big Easy rebounded well from Katrina. It's still toally packed, as many expected. This has to be a huge boost for the suffering economy down there. I had my doubts there would be a Mardi Gras this year, but it's been pulled off. Good for them.

No comments: