Thursday, March 23, 2006

Inside again

The cold had me inside again. I wanted to get out and do my 4 hill ride, but it just wasn’t happening today. I reluctantly got on the trainer and did a 18 mile uphill ride. It was fine, but my left knee has been bothering me off and on, and it was on today. Most of the ride was between 2-6% grade, but a few times it kicked up to 10%. The final climb was 10% for awhile, so I got off. I figured w. a sore knee about the worst thing to do is grind on a trainer @ mid 50 rpm. I iced it when I got home and it will be fine. It doesn’t bother me at all outside. Just inside. I think it has to do with the lack of stabalization muscles used riding inside. You don’t have to stabalize (hold yourself up) inside, so you’re neglecting some small muscles. It’s like using a weight machine vs. free weights. I, again, hope to get out tomorrow. I’d like to make up the 4 hills ride, but we’ll see. I really don’t want to ride trainer any more. I was spoiled by our mild winter, but like Brian Wilkes said, "nature always balances things out."
Sunday is the Hueston Woods road race in Oxford, OH. I always like this race. The course suits me pretty well. It’s rolling w/ 2 good climbs. I will have a crappy week under belt going in, but we’ll see what happens. I got off the front last year on the last lap, but couldn’t get clear. A well timed attack before the first of the two climbs could result on a solo win. I’ll have Josh there, plus new pseudo teammate Nick from Ohio. He’s a younger kid that pretty fast. He has told me he likes my style and will work for me if I want to break. Nice kid. We’ll see how it all goes.

No comments: