Sunday, March 26, 2006

Ohio Valley Hueston Woods

Hueston Woods OVR race was today. I have raced this course several times in college and in OVR’s. It is a lot of people favorite course, so the heat was on from the line. It started fast and people were attacking right away. I was in the front for awhile, but given the furious pace and people moving all over the place at the front, I decided to move to the back of the front group to avoid trouble. Josh was there, so we hung back for 3 of the four laps, making sure to hang on the lead group, but a) do no work and b) stay out of any crashes (there were no crashes, but it was hairy at the front). So with one lap to go, I moved to the front and started taking some long hard pulls. Josh and I agreed to work with the Dark Horse team from Ohio to try to break up the Saturn of Dayton team. The Saturn guys would not work at all. They wouldn’t pull through at all. Nick T from Dark Horse is in the points lead for the series, and this is my last OVR race for the year, so I figured I had nothing to loose pulling hard for him, but he had much to gain. So anyway, I stayed at the front for the whole last lap and ended up 6th or 7th. It was an uphill finish, so I had to weave through non-climbing type for position. I’m happy with that. I rode good and felt great. I had a good OVR spring series. Already looking forward to next year, but it’s MTB time now!
As for the weather today, it was weird. It was fairly cold, but the sun was out when we started. By the second and third laps, it started hailing/snowing/raining real hard on us. The hail hurt super bad on my face. Then it would turn sunny again. It repeated this a few times. Weird.
I’ll post my result when it’s up.

1 comment:

Randy Lewandowski said...

Hey Adam, Nice job with your 6th or 7th place. I call what you were doing real racing and the Saturn riders just pathetic. The nice thing about the way you rode is that you put in a good effort and your fitness should improve because of it.
I've always found this couse to be hard.

Jumpy