Friday, April 14, 2006

Mama Mia!

The travelling Broadway show Mama Mia! is in Bloomington this week. The final show is Sunday. The musical is about a girl on the day before here wedding, but set to the music of Abba. Now, I’m a closet Abba fan. And I’m a closet fan of musicals. I know that these two ‘closet interest’ could easily lead one to believe that I’m ‘in the closet,’ but I’m totally straight.
Anywho, Lindsay’s plan was to get us tix for Mama Mia! for x-mas. However, our money was far to tight and I told her thanks for the thought, but we had better not spend $80-$100 on that then. So, fine, right? Well Thursday a guy comes into the bike shop and wants a quick derailer adjustment. He says only in town a few days, so I say "no problem, I’ll do it right now." I ask him "what brings you to town for a few days?" he answers "I’m with the show Mama Mia!" Me "really, what role?" Him "I’m the keyboardist for the band." Me "oh cool, I’m a big abba fan [then I tell him the sob story of how we wanted to go but couldn’t afford tix]." End of conversation. I ring him up, he thanks me and heads on his way. I think to myself ‘what a jerk, I gave him my sob story and he didn’t even offer me free tix.’ Well, today he comes back in and says "hey, since Sunday is Easter the house didn’t sell out and they’ve allowed us some tickets at the ‘will call’ window and I thought of you first." So I call Linds to see if she can miss work and she can and we’re headed to the show Sunday eve. Should be good. And see? It all worked out, I helped him out and he helped me out. What a guy. We’re really excited to get to go and very happy that the pianist, Bill Congdon, gave us such a nice, bleated x-mas present. Thanks Bill.

1 comment:

Gina said...

Wow, I have always wanted to see that play! Very cool that you ened up getting to go! Have a fun Easter ;)