Sunday, April 23, 2006

McCormicks Creek RR, in the money!

Today was the inaugural McCormicks Creek road race. The venue is located about 20min from B-Town, between Elletsville and Spencer. The ride we do to Spencer about once a month or so covers some of the road we raced on, so I semi "new the course" (plus, as you my recall, I went out last weekend and rode the course).
The race 4’s started calm enough, which was good because I did no warm up at all, none. Of course though, as one could expect, 4’s start feeling lucky really quick and start breaking off the front. These breaks were A) covered by me and B) hard for me to cover due to having not warmed op at all. After chasing down these 2-4 person break, I was, generally toast and had to try to recover fast. That was the first two laps. During lap 3 a two man break took off. We kept them in sight, but they had probably 30 seconds. I took the ropes (again) and "we" burned past these 2 right after the big climb on lap 3. I say "we" in quotes because, unknown to me "we" was just me and two other guys. I had broken up the field chasing these two guys down. So, "we" swallowed up and spit out the 2 man break and were off the front for a lap and a half, just the three of us. The third guy (me, a Team XXX guy and another guy, I am referring to ‘the other guy’ as the third guy) wasn’t working at all really. He was sitting on while me and XXX did all the work. I was going to turn around and tell him that if he didn’t want to work he needed to drop back because there was no way I was going to pull him around for another 5 laps and let him sprint past me w/ fresh legs. When I turned to say something to him, he was dropped, so there were then two of us. Me and XXX. We talked it over and decided if we worked and kept it steady, we had it. It was an unspoken agreement, but it worked out to where I pulled up the 2 climbs every lap, then he took the reigns going down hill. Good trade off huh? Anywho, I was stronger and we both knew it, so I had no problem leading on the hills. We stayed off for the rest of the race. I dropped the guy twice. The first time I felt like it was too early to go it alone so I waited for him. The second time he just found the legs and rode back up. The last lap we traded pulls just as we had been and when we got to the long stretch before the turn to the finishing stretched he tried to attack me, but couldn’t shake me. I just started pedaling harder and harder in whatever gear I was in (~53x14 or so) and waited until we hit the corned to the finishing straight. Once we did we both stood and gave it what we had. I was watching XXX’s shadow under my arm and couldn’t see it anymore. I looked back and he was seated, content to roll to 2nd. I crossed the line 1st and won $70.
Not bad. After racing MTB yesterday I wasn’t sure how I was going to feel. It worked out and I won my first road race ever. I’ve won MTB races before, but never a road race. Plus I’ve won money twice this year. Rule.

2 comments:

Randy Lewandowski said...

Adam,
Great job in the race taking first place! You were on the ropes but you hung in there. What's more is that you had the legs even though you raced the day before.
It's funny, when I hear most racers say that they are in the money they mean that they did not take 1st place but just one of the lower money spots.
You should now have the added confidence in your upcoming MTB season to kick some major arse.

Jumpy

Tim Green said...

Congrats Adam....you rock!!!