Sunday, April 16, 2006

Recon mission

I rode over to the road race course for next weekend. It’s called McCormics Creek road race, but it doesn’t actually go into tMcCormics Creek park. It’s a little under 15miles to the course, then the course is about a 4.7 mile loop. It has just one major climb, but it’s two tier and pretty tough. Today there was a headwind on the climb road, which is southbound, and no cover from it at all. So once you hit the climb, you’ve been hammering into a headwind, then climb w/ a headwind. After the second tier, you descend a bit, then turn right (west) and climb some more. This is gradual climbing though. Shortly after this flattens out, it’s a steady northbound descent (w/ a tail wind today) to a right hander (east bound) flat road, to right hander, which completes the loop to the southbound road w/ the climb. With just one climb on such a short course, it’s definitely not an Adam course; too flat. However, I think 4’s are doing 8 laps, and that hill is going to get harder and harder every lap. If I can stay in contact through all the flat (and possibly wind) sections, maybe I’ll do okay. We shall see. Oh yeah, and I will have raced MTB the day before.
Anywho, I did to laps of the course, but wanted to come in a route to get some miles. I remembered that if I went straight on a road I would normally turn, I would go through Elletsville and could follow the Hilly 100 route back to old 37, if I could remember it. I remembered it all as I got to it. I passed by the intersection where Jill Behrman was abducted a few years ago. It felt kind of surreal w/ all the hype around the case right now since ‘they’ caught her abductor/murderer.
I got in just under 3 hours, which was more than enough for the week. I got in just under 11 hours for the week. That’s great. I need to be doing 10.
I took Lindsay out to Wapahani last night to show her the loop. That gave me an extra hour and means I’ve worked out 7 days, but whatever.
Mama Mia! is tonight in a few hours!

No comments: