Sunday, May 07, 2006

good race, bad place

Yesterday was DINO #1 @ Winona Lake in Warsaw, IN. It was a perfect day, ~65* sunny, dry and the trail were 100% perfect. Dusty, dry with just enough moisture in the dirt to provide good grip. It really couldn’t have been much better.
I got a not ideal start, somewhere mid pack, which is where I stayed. A couple of the people I wanted to be right with got better starts, so I thought I would try to ride up to them as the 2hour race went on. It wasn’t going to happen. On my pre-race lap, I found all of the good passing places, but at race speed most of those passing places were too short to actually get in a pass. So I sat in mid pack land. Whatever, I rode really well. I kept my heart rate under control, hit good lines, stayed with about 3-4 people (one of whom I have ‘marked’ for the season) and rode fast. I felt like I could have been going fast in the first two of three laps, but had too many people in front of me. That’s MTBing, it’s not like road where you can move up whenever you want to. I thin I ended up somewhere around 30th out of (I’m guessing) 60 or so starters. I know I saw a #57 number plate, so I know there was a large Expert field.
Lindsay flatted in her race and had the wrong size tube in her bag (my bad). She is using the seat bag from my cyclocross bike and I guess I forgot to switch the tube to an MTB tube. She, hence, couldn’t fix her flat and had to walk in. Sorry.
We had a huge day yesterday. We left around 6:30am, raced MTB, hung out at the festival at the race (Northern IN Fat and Skinny Tire Fest), drove to my parents house in Frankfort, ate there, stopped by a wedding reception which my brother was in town for (dressing in cut-off camo shorts and a Slayer t-shirt), hung out w/ him for a while and saw a TON of people who wanted to ‘catch up’ w/ me, then drove to Indy to drop off Dan P’s dog at his house for him, the finally got back to B-Town a little after 11pm. That’s a long string of doing stuff. And bear in mind: in the middle of all this was a MTB race. Probably the hardest I’ve ever ridden MTB at that. I was completely wasted after racing. I just sat and drank Gatorade and ate whatever I could find. I had my nutrition down for winning Sport races, but Expert races are longer/harder so to even fill the pack I need to revamp my pre-race eating (I was about 10 minutes from a full on bonk on the final lap). Anywho, we were "out" for, like, 17 hours or something, totally worked over by the time we got home. Weird thing is: I slept crappy. I should have slept great given the circumstances. I told work I would work the 3 hours we’re opened today since I took off yesterday and I planned on sleeping until 10 or 10:30, going to work, then doing an easy recovery 1 hour on the road. But, I’m already up, I’ve had coffee, I made some slamcakes, and I’m going to ride before work and hope I’m tired enough for a nap in the afternoon. We shall see. Lindsay went to Ride MTB @ Brown County w/ some girls from Indy, she should back when I get back from work. May be a "Lazy Sunday," no Narnia though, just naps.
Adam’s jams while blgging this a.m. and making/eating aforementioned slamcakes: Abba Gold. That’s some good shit.
I’ll post results when they’re up.

1 comment:

Gina said...

Your weekend was VERY productive! Good work!