Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Laying the course; dog days

Yesterday (Tues) BH from DINO came down and we measured and marked the run/bike course(s) for the race here June 3. It was fun. I can'’ say I got a great workout, but we rode the lap a couple of times, then went through w/ ribbons and paint. We had to stop s few times for distance markers on the first couple, then stop very often while marking to tie ribbons and/or paint arrows. It should be a good course w/ a couple hard grinder climbs. 5 laps for Expert, should be "fun." Plus BH comped my entry for the race for helping. Bonus!
We’re going out to the trail tonight to clear/maintain. There a re a few sections that need trimmed to get rid of things that hit you in the face. Other than a few things, it’s in really good shape. Let’s hope the rain holds off.
This a.m. I rode the Paragon loop solo, w/ aero bars, as I plan to do a 40k this Saturday morn. I wanted to get in a ride or two w/ the aero bars before busting a 40k. I ran over a dog while on the ride. Ran it over. I was in the aero going about 25mph and heard a yipper dog to my left. I looked and saw it running toward the road, so I got out of aero and yelled at it. It kept barreling and next thing I know it’s right in front of my wheel. I braced for impact, hoping to stay up. I ran it over w/ both wheels, just like a speed bump, at around 20mph. It yelped and I looked back. After it recovered from it’s ‘spins’ or ‘flips’ it got up and headed back for it’s yard. I yelled to the house "I just ran over your dog," but no one was outside, so I just kept going. It may have internal damage and die, it may have broken bones, I don’t know. I hope it’s okay, but at least I didn’t crash. That could have caused thousands in equipment damage and/or medical crap. It totally broke my rhythm for the rest of the ride, but I still rode pretty good considering. And it knocked my front wheel a little out of true, but nothing too bad it wasn’t rubbing the brake or anything. I’ll fixit tonight.
Keep your dogs fenced. Even if you live in the country, cars and cyclists are everywhere.

2 comments:

Randy Lewandowski said...

Man, your lucky you stayed up after hitting the dog with both wheels. I speak from recent experience that one minute your riding along minding your own business and that next 2 seconds you can be laying on the group. Besides the luck I'm sure your top notch riding skills helped to save yourself.
Good luck wth the 40k they can be both fun and sick at the same time.

Jumpy

Tim Green said...

I really didn't think it was hardly possible to run over a dog like you did and stay up. I ran over a squirrel last night on the trail and that scared me.

Good job holding on. I know your bike handling skills are great like Randy said, but think you were lucky also.

Good luck on your 40K, that will be gut wrenching .

Tim