Sunday, May 21, 2006

Nashville finally, solo, but KILLED it!

I finally got in a Nashville ride for the year. I’ve been wanting to do this ride for months, and have had "something come up" or weather crap, or races or…but today, was doing.(period) Through circumstance and circumstance and circumstance I ended up riding alone, but I didn’t care. It was pretty windy, but I decided I would just settle into whatever pace was comfy and go w/ it. Lucky for me that pace just happened to be killer. Nashville is about 60miles (round trip), which by itself isn’t bad, but it has a few major climbs. I go into Nashville via Bear Wallow hill, which gains ~300’ in 1mile. It’s one of my favorite hills around here. It has two tiers in which it gains that elevation. It’s a good one (hard one!) Then I come back via Helmsburg rd, which is another big grinder, then it’s rolling sailing until you get into Yellowood St Forest, which always hurts. On the "flat" sections between Helmsburg and Monroe county, I had the headwind, but I put my head down and pounded it. It was actually a weird wind w/ the way the roads twist around here. I had a headwind or a cross most of the ride, both ways. Never really a true tail wind. BUT, I managed to average 19.9 for a total ave (this includes B-town in town and Nashville, during which I took it easy and ate a Cliff bar). I didn’t stop at all, except to pee just before climbing Bear Wallow. That’s pretty fast. I’m very happy w/ that number. 20 would have been better, but whatever, Nashville via Bear Wallow’s a hard ride no matter how you cut it, especially on a windy(ish) day solo.
For the week I got in 10.5 hrs, 186 miles. Pretty good considering the crapped out weather most mornings.

2 comments:

Tim Green said...

Man, almost 20 mph ave with all those climbs and wind, that IS a killer ride. Good job!!!

Weather looks to be a lot better with temps in the 80's later in the week and next weekend.

Take care,

Tim

Gina said...

great work! you are one strong guy!