Sunday, May 14, 2006

The race of truth

The individual time trial, the race of truth. No where to hide, no one to draft, nose to the wind. That’s why they call it "the race of truth." The truth is: riding in the rain when it’s 43* sucks. Ryan and I skipped the Monrovia TT today. I spent last night getting my bike ready, race wheels on, aero bars on and in position, etc. Got my gear packed, food packed, etc. I got up about 5:30am and it was too dark to see anything outside, so I poured some coffee, sat down and the phone rang. It Ryan calling it a bust. It was, indeed, raining, even though I couldn’t really see outside. The radar had a big system over us until about 11:00am. I hadn’t drunk any coffee yet, so I poured it back in the pot and went back to bed.
The sun’s out now and we’re going to try to get in some miles in an hour or so. I’ll let you all know hao what turned out later.
I’ve been watching the Giro D’ Italia live thanks to John Smith finding the feed online. It’s free and it’s the same feed that OLN is using and charging $20 for. The only drawback is the commentary is in Italian, o I can’t understand what they’re saying. I open the Velonews live ticker and read what’s happening while I watch it. It rules. The site, for those interested, is: www.raisport.rai.it. All of the words are written in Italian too, so it’s a little difficult to navigate, but I got it figured out. Here’s the hint: "tapa" means "taped" and "Live" means "Live." Get it?
Happy mothers day to those applicable.

No comments: