Thursday, May 25, 2006

Sore arms (trail work); different hill ride

Last night (Wed night) a bunch of us met at Wapahani for trial work. It was a nice night for it ad there were several people riding. I walked most of the course w/ a gas weed whacker and widened/ cleared places that needed it . My arms are sore today form hauling around said weed whacker, but it needs to be done and I’m glad to help. Wapahani used to be an IN MTB destination, but has slipped from that distinction over the past few years, getting over grown and not being ridden. We’re getting it back into shape and I’m proud to be part of the team. We used to drive down here, two hours, to ride there and it’s getting back into the kind of shape where it will be worth the drive. Anywho, I slept really crappy and was up for an hour or so in the middle of the night messing around in the net, so that only added to my general soreness. Whatever.
I rode my normal Thursday 4 hills ride today, but w/ aero bars on. I normally dog it between the hills, but today I went a little harder between and stayed aero as much as possible. The is a very clear verdict to it all: having aero bars on your bike down here totally sucks. There are few sections of road that are flat for long enough to make it a real advantage and they get in the way when you’re climbing. At the shop here we have sold 1 pair since I have been here and keep just one pair in stock at a time, much different from Muncie where we sold an ass-load and stocked a bunch too. I never really thought much about it, I just went with it, because I think aero bars suck generally anyway. Well, B-Town floks, that’s the reason: it sucks to ride this kind terrain w/ them on. Needless to say, they’ll be coming off as soon as I finish the 40k.
I plan to go to Wap and ride at least 5 laps (Expert is 5 laps) Sunday, then do something huge (Nashville 90??) Monday. We’ll see what all goes down, as I broke a linkage bolt on my MTB and ordered 2 new ones form Giant w/ fast shipping and they should be here tomorrow. My suspension is in about 15 pieces right now, so I can’t ride w/out those bolts. Let us pray to the gods of speedy (and expensive) shipping that they make it.

1 comment:

Gina said...

Well hopefully your birthday brings you luck on Monday!

Have a great bday weekend!