Sunday, June 25, 2006

Two-a-day

Race Report: Morgan-Monroe State Forest Road Race (and Time Trial)
I found out last night that to place overall in today’s RR, you had to do a 5 mile time trial after the road race. So about 10:30p.m. I fished my aero bars out of the closet where they live and decided if I did good in the RR, I would do the TT, and if I did crappy in the RR, no TT. I ended up 3rd in the road race, so to get paid I had to do the TT, and do good or else I would get bumped out of the overall.
The road race didn’t pan out as I thought it would. 1) it stayed far more together than I expected it to and 2) nobody was willing to take reasonable pulls except me and one other Morris Trucking guy. It was ridiculous. I would take 7-10 minute pulls, then get short pulled by some guy for about 10 sec, then pull again. They just wouldn’t work. Finally a Morris Trucker stepped up and took some good pulls to help me out. I don’t mind long pulls at all on a course I know well, if the field is blown apart, but toward the end of the finishing lap we had 9 guys, and only two of them had done any work (Morris Truck and me). Karma caught up w/ all but one. Adam Liebewitz took 1st, did little work, but is super fast (I've heard he’s the junior track national champ currently), and Morris truck and I took 2 and 3.
The TT was only 5 miles, so it was just go as hard as you can. The guy who got 4th in the RR had a good TT and moved up to 2nd, which bump Morris Truck to 3rd and me to 4th overall. So I took 3rd in the RR, 4th in the TT, which was good for 4th overall and $50. In the money.
The most gratification came when we were waiting for results and a guy said to me "hey, are you the guy who was doing all the work out there?" I said "yeah, that was me." Him: "man, you pulled, like, the whole race."

Here’s the stats:
RR:
Dist:42 miles
Av speed:22.8
Max speed:43.6
Av hr:172
Max hr:191
TT:
Dist:5 miles
Av speed:25.5
Av hr:179
Max hr:181
That’s my Sunday. Next Sunday is the Muscatatuck mountain bike race. It’s always a big one. Should be good. Plus I’m planning on racing a MTB TT Wed evening. Lot’s of racing…

2 comments:

Gina said...

Congrads. Good work!

Randy Lewandowski said...

Nice job with the RR, too bad you pulled so much as you may have been able to pull off a 1st or 2nd.

Jumpy