Friday, June 16, 2006

Zen and the Art of Not Freaking Out on Drivers

Remember my "New Year resolution?" Well, it was to calm my self down when reacting to negligent (or purposeful a##hole) drivers. Well, in last two days I have been put to the test. And it can only be tested in real situations, when you are making a "knee jerk" reaction w/ no thinking about it. Yesterday and Wed, both, I was nearly taken out once by a person backing up and not looking and another by a dude not using a turn signal (my fav). In both of these situations, where a year or so ago I would have lost it and yelled, etc, I kept cool and either just gave "a look," or (no toto forcefully) aid "use you turn signal." Finally, I’ve beat the demon of blowing my top and getting myself 1 situation closer to getting shot by some hillbilly.
Training wise, the week’s been good. Yesterday I got in the 4-hill ride and didn’t feel strong. So I bought a rotisserie chicken last night and ate half of it. I ate the breast chopped on a salad and the rest of the half w/ some BBQ sauce. Animal protein = good. I did my short/easier ride today and felt fine. At least I’ve gotten in a full week w/ no weather (or any other) interruptions. I shouldn’t speak too soon though, as it may rain Sunday and I need Sunday to complete my week. Hopefully it stays nice for a stretch.

1 comment:

Gina said...

Glad you had a good week!

We like to do the same thing with those roasted chickens... the salad thing and the bbq thing. YUM!

Ian needs to set a goal like you did on the idiot reactions to idiot drivers. I swear he is gonna get shot some day.