Monday, July 03, 2006

DINO AMBC race report

Yesterday’s race went well. Being the AMBC, the field was large. It was hot and humid, but bearable when we started. There was pretty big pile-up at the start, which I narrowly avoided. It was in front of me, but around a bush thing, so I couldn’t see it. I heard carnage in front of me and swerved left on instinct and it turned out to be a good instinct, as I would have plowed straight into it otherwise.
I started as usually, mid pack hoping to pass people who take off fast and burn up. It worked as normal, but I passed a lot more people than I expected to. I ended up 15th overall, which was good for a 2nd age group finish. I did crash, but not too bad. It was on a downhill switchback (180* turn) and my front wheel washed out under me and I fell w/ all of my weight/momentum on my left shoulder, which has bruise to show for it. Also my handle bar jabbed into the back of my knee, just below where it bends, so on the very top of my calf, which is hella sore today (and the rest of yesterday. It took me several minutes to get it stretched (on the bike)to feel good enough to return to hammering. Where it happened, as I mentioned, was on the DH switchback, but after that DH was a bunch of climbing switches, so I had to climb w/ a bummed left calf. It was on the 4th of 5 laps, so I didn’t have a ton left, but I made it no problem.
I rode good and rode hard. I rode myself into the ground and had to lay motionless for about 15min afterwards. It hurt. My stomach was in knots and I couldn’t really get any food (read: GU) down. I ate about 4 GU’s during, but had to force them down. I also took about 6 salt caps to ward off the impeding stomach cramps, as I could feel the early stages of them. Knowing your body is such a huge advantage in endurance sports.
Today was an EZ spin on rollers to stretch the muscles and try to get rid of the knot/soreness in my calf. It feels fine, but is definitely sore still. It’ll be fine though.
Tomorrow we’re planning on riding the Nashville 90, but the forecast isn’t looking great. It’s not as bad down here as it looks up north, but I don’t want to get into a big ride like that and have it storm on us. Then we’ll go to wherever it is to go here and check out the B-Town fireworks!

No comments: