Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Abrv.

This is no doubt and abbreviated week for me. W/ my trip up to Chicago and no racing, I am being lenient on the weeks work-outs.
Sunday I raced the IN St RR Championships and, I am not the IN St RR Champion. I am 8th down the line. This was decided on a course that definitely didn’t suite me well in Fishers, IN. The race was 6 laps over a 8.6mile course. So it was about 50 miles and climber 800 feet total (keep in mind, there are climbs down here that are around 300 feet in, like, 2 miles), so it was flat. It had one "hill" on the backside that probably took, say, 10 seconds to complete. This course profile kept the field together for the most part despite my (and others ) hard runs on the front trying to break it up. Add to this that the finish was an about ¾ miles, dead flat, wide open drag race down a highway, and my chances go pretty much down the drain. The last lap I spent most of on the front trying and trying to spread it out, as I knew hitting the ‘drag strip’ w/ a few guys would be my best chance, but to no avail. We hit the corner all intact. Of course, people started going way early and blowing up, so I made up some positions there (just by being smart), and crossed the line 8th. The race was taken my teammate Myron Lewis, who I turned out, really, to be working for, as he has a much stronger sprint than I do. So my work on the front was not for nothing, as it help him stay fresh and others have to scramble to stay in touch. And I could have jockyed in for another position or two, but in the mix of a 20 man sprint is not my place. So I stayed seated and pedaled my butt off and held my line.
Monday, then, was a nice recovery roller ride, although I didn’t feel bad at all after Sunday (maybe I didn’t go hard enough??).
Then Tuesday we had a planned morning ride w/ Ryan et. all, but the radar scared off everyone. I went out for a short (~17mile) solo jaunt and packed it in, as the sky was dark. I went into work early and that was that.
Today the radar is scarring me off, so I think I’m going to bag riding and go in early again. I hope to get in Thurs and Fri’s rides before leaving for IL. Then the following weekend is second to last MTB race of the year, so from IL it’s back to the training. I can use these few days off I’m taking. Even though I worry about being off, I know it’s not a problem, I’m just pretty obsessive about it all.

2 comments:

Gina said...

I am glad you saw the photos before I had to take them down. That was Lisa Stevenson... check her out in my friends on myspace. Yes, that was Hallie. She looks amazing and lives in NYC now (and so does Laura K). Hallie is in my myspace friends too.

Gina said...

BTW, it's good to be obsessive with your workouts... that is the only way one can stick with it so well.