Friday, August 04, 2006

The Drunk on My Couch

So, w/ Lindsay’s new job she gets up earlier then me now. Yesterday she got up, went downstairs and came right back up. I was thinking as this was happening "what is she doing?" She woke me up and asked "do you know who the guy on our couch is?" I said "no." So I got up and got my knife that I carry (I hadn’t an idea what I was going to walk into), told her to wait upstairs and cam downstairs to find "a dude" on our couch, in his underwear, asleep. I did a quick survey of the scene and everything appeared in order (even the door was locked, which it obviously hadn’t been the night before, but the stranger DID lock it behind him). So, I try to wake him up by saying "dude," "dude." He opens his eyes, but shuts them right back. So I shake him some and say "dude, time to wake up". W/ this he sits up and I ask "do you know where you are?" him "do I know where I am?" me "I don’t think you do, you’re in my apt and I don’t know you." Him "aw man." Me "where are your cloths, dude?" him "aw man." Me "do you know where your pants are?" him "no man, it’s all good" (this turned out to be the only phrase he would say). So I walk over to the kitchen to further survey the scene and his pants are on the kitchen floor. Me "dude, I found your pants." He gets up to put them on and I ask "where’s your shirt?" him "aw man, it’s all good." Me "no man, your shirts not around here." I check to bathroom, behind the couch, etc and can’t find his shirt. I say "you didn’t go upstairs did you?" And he starts to head up the stairs to check and I stop him and say "you wait here, I’ll check upstairs" which I do, and can’t find a shirt. So I come right back down stairs and he’s back asleep so I get him up again and ask if needs to use the phone. Him "no man, it’s all good." Me "do you want me to call you a cab?" him "no man, it’s all good." Me "do you want me to get some water?" Him "no man, I’m cool." Me "do you need to use the bathroom." Him "no man, it’s cool." And I’m trying to be civil, but in my mind at this point I’m thinking, ‘well than get the f**k out!" I ask "do you have a car?" Hi "yeah it my sisters." Me "do you have the keys?" Him "yeah." So I extend my hand, help him up and, basically, push him out the door.
That was my morning yesterday. This situation could have been way worse for all parties involved. I like to consider myself a good, helping person and I try to act accordingly, but this dude could have stumbled into a place and gotten himself shot or beaten, or whatever. And our door (apparently) being unlocked could have (worst case) had some robber/killer wander in, or (still pretty bad case) this drunk dude could have puked all over and peed on the couch, etc... And I weren’t as cool under pressure as I ~try to be~, I could have called the cops first, and let them deal w/ it.
I’m guessing the dude either lives in this complex or stays w/ friends/girlfriend here and just got the wrong door. Poor irresponsible drunk.
Training wise I’ve gotten in a full week. I almost felt I could have wore arm warmers today. It was 66* when I left and it has been close to 90*. What a huge change.
I am going to race road this weekend, but I may need a small personal loan to afford gas to get to Indy. I’m glad I got my bus ticket to Chicago already ‘cause w/ gas jumping to $3.19 here and $3.49 in Chi-town, tix may go up too.

3 comments:

Randy Lewandowski said...

Shit, you need money you should have asked the Dude to fork over 30.00 for the use of your couch.
That is one funny story, wait this could have been scary. Actually, I think I would have done the same thing that you did. I would have told Lindsey to keep her fingers on the dial, ready to call 911 if you gave her the word.

Jumpy

Tim Green said...

MAN, what a story. I guess since the dude was asleep and drunk I would of handled it the same as you did, but having my wife in the house would have made me nervous.
Kind of makes a person wonder that we can sleep through someone coming into our house and not know it...kind of scary actually.

Glad you guys are all right.

PS: Bet you let won't forget to lock your door again, huh?

Tim

Gina said...

That is messed up! What a crazy story! I really don't know what to say... live and learn... hopefully more for him than you guys. Wow! Thanks for sharing.