Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Hot couple of days

I’m not one to complain about heat (just cold), but I will mention it. It is HOT. And because a cooler front is moving I, it has been a windy past couple of days too. Yesterday I rode the Paragon loop alone and sweated tons. I was popping E-Caps (electrolite tablets) like candy. I don't sweat much, in general, but I was soaked head to toe and lost about 5 lbs in the 2:15 it took to ride the loop. I was starting to fade from the heat toward the end, which made me glad I was solo, so I could just roll in at my own pace. I knew at 4:00 this morning it took a lot out me because I woke up to pee and my legs were sore. That and, as I mentioned before, I can feel my in-season form waning. I usually schedule a few days off in July, but since I’m going up to Chicago to hang w/ my brother next week, I’m calling that my few days off instead. It’s coming later than usual, which is probably why I have that ‘not so fresh’ feeling. Plus I’m nursing what is 100% the worst saddle sore I’ve ever had. It’s been there nagging almost all year, but hardly even noticeable. That all changed after Sunday’s MTB race. That sucker got inflamed to hurts-to-sit-on-a-chair level and a mixture of showering, Gold Bond Medicated Powder and Assos Chamios Cream (no high mileage rider should be w/out this stuff) have gotten it back to normal in a few days time w/out costing me any rid time (just a couple uncomfortable rides).
Today I rode the Bottom Rd loop and rode a lot better than I expected to. Before I left the plan was sub-tempo, but I felt good and was pedaling fast, so I went w/ that instead. I have been drinking tons on the bike lately w/ the heat. I usually take a big bottle and a small bottle w/ me and don’t even finish the big bottle, but I’ve been taking 2 bigs and draining them both.
The weekend is supposed to cool down, so I’m still planning on IN St RR Champs Sunday.

1 comment:

Randy Lewandowski said...

Your right, it is HOT out. I seem to feel the heat more running than biking right now as I get somewhat of a breeze while riding.
I'm 100 percent believer in products like e-caps or Hammers Endurolytes as they really seem work for me. Also, the good news is that a bottle of Hammer Endurolytes are between 15 and 17 dollars. Well worth the cost!
I'm sure the heat has not helped with the saddle sores - ouch.

Jumpy