Friday, August 11, 2006

They did it again

Slayer’s new album came out this week and, once again, they’ve hit it on point. You think after 20 odd years of thrashing they’d be slowing down, but they’re still doing it like they’re youngsters. They’re still rocking in the (what I consider) 3rd stage of their sound, which started in 1994 w/ Divine Intervention album. Their other two phases, for those of you interested in my "history of Slayers sound(s)" lesson, is the first (‘83-’86), which is their totally thrashing, screaming metal phase. Second (‘86-93) hears a more mature 80’s early 90’s metal sound, but heavier than anything else that is even partially mainstream. And here we are (94-present) in their 3rd phase. Still thrashing, but older and wiser and never having compromised.
My week is over and I missed wed’s ride completely, shortened Tuesday, but was normal yesterday and today. Then it’s off to Chicago for a few days tomorrow. We’re going to see Rollins band and X at the House of Blues tomorrow night, hanging out Sunday, then I leave Monday.
The following weekend is the DINO MTB race at Westwood park, then the weekend after that is the IN stage race in Indy, which I will likely do. It’s a RR (though only a 2.5 mile course, so really a circuit race), then a 5 mile TT later Sat, then a crit Sunday. I know I have a no crit policy, but this has sweeping turns, rather than 90* w./ curbs and crap, so it should be (relatively) safe. That’s the plans…

No comments: