Friday, December 28, 2007

to OK and back

Well….Lindsay and I made it to Oklahoma for the holiday and are back now. The weather sucked going there, it rained the whole time and I saw the sun for maybe 10 minutes of 13 hrs. Plus once we got on the final 3-4 hour stretch the temp dropped significantly and the wiper blades froze, leaving me a 1-2" line through which I could see.
The weather cooperated while we were there though, it was a little chilly by their standards, but in the mid 50’s. I took a bike, so I got in a few rides, which was nice. What was not nice was (at least) 2 dogs at (almost) every other house to chase me.
It was also nice that this was the first Christmas Lindsay and I have spent together since we’ve known each other. People think that’s weird, and it probably is, but we’re weird.
We made it back in just over 11 hours thanks to better (not good, better) weather and figuring out that hwy 46 runs directly between Terre Haute and Bloomington. I would have I70 to I465 to hwy 37, which is ~2 hrs between Terre Haute and B-town, hwy 46 shaves an hour off of that. I drove the whole way both ways, so it was awesome to come up shorter.
Shorter workouts due to unfamiliar territory and sitting in a car all day have ruined my hours for this week, but that’s the way it goes for an amateur. On the plus side, I came back with a dozen eggs from Lindsay’s mother’s chicken’s butts and a paper grocery bag ~3/4 full of freshly harvested pecans. And I got to ride a 4-wheeler at Lindsay’s grandmother’s farm; wwwwhhhheeeeeewwwwww!
We are going to my parent’s on Saturday (which is my normal day off working out), then we are planning a 3 hour road ride Sunday. The weather so far seems doable, so we’ll see. I’m 3 or so hours down this week, but I assure you I’m not riding 6 hours Sunday to make it up ("they" say you can’t make up a missed workout anyway).
P.S. I made the whole trip w/ no hot sauce. This was a task, as I use hot sauce (or some sort of heat) on just about everything. Lindsay’s mom is food-heat-wimp though, and doesn’t keep hot sauce around. "They" never said anything about not being able to make up for missed hot sauce, so I should double up the Tabasco on my farm eggs!
Happy New Year and stuff.

No comments: