Sunday, January 10, 2010

Jack Frost nipping at...

...everything he can.
It has been very frigid lately. I have logged a lot of indoor riding hours. Workouts have generally been good, but I am finding myself itching w/ cabin fever about midweek right now.
I took this week to do fewer hours, then do a 20min power test today (Sunday). W/ the temps what they were, I opted to do it inside on the trainer. I was slightly lower than I wanted to be, but I have been told that, all factors included, one can expect 10-12% decrease in power output on a trainer. So if I calculate 10% into what I did, I actually set a new best by a few watts! And it's only January!

After finishing the test (which was 50min of riding [w/u, test, c/d]) I wanted to ride more, so I fired up the MTB, which I haven't ridden since August. I rode out to Wapahani, via the (snow covered) Clear Creek Trail and busted a couple of abbreviated laps at the Wap. I abbreviated them to avoid the hills because w/ all the snow, traction was nill and I didn't want to have to get off and hike it in the snow. In the summer it takes me ~26minutes to get from my garage to the Wap. It took me almost 10minutes more today. It was so slow and hard riding out the CCT. It ended up being a great workout, (high heart rate, etc), but so unrewarding due to moving so slowly. And it was cold. But I was wearing at least two of everything, so I was almost dripping w/ sweat when I got home; my clothes under my outer layer(s) were drenched.
This coming week is looking better than the past week. I hope to get a few quality outside rides in. Though w/ the rising temps, the roads could be a total mess w/ all the snow melting. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
In other news that's no more exciting than any of the other crap I write about, I have my Giant road bike pulled apart for its annual overhaul. I don't like to train on it in crappy conditions, so it's not likely to see any action until Tennessee training camp or so. But it'll be ready.
Oh, and the supercross 2010 season started today in Anaheim. This year has started as a table-turned carbon copy of last year, as last year James Stewart was taken out of the first race handing the win to Chad Reed and this year Reed was taken out handing it to Stewart. Of course Stewart came back and won the overall title last year. It will an interesting season.

No comments: