Monday, September 20, 2010

OVCX underway!

I'm getting settled in to my CX training cycle. So last week was more of the same, as will be the next several. We got some good racing in this past weekend in the series opener for the OVCX.
My main goals for my first year in the elite races are to get top 10's and get in the money. This weekend I missed the top 10 by two spots (12th), but was in the money, so while I didn't fully accomplish both of my goals, 1/2 ain't bad.
I'm getting more used to the hour or racing too. I can tell my body's adjusting to dealing w/ such a high effort for an hour.

My teammate and good friend Josh had probably the best race he's had since he won the State title a couple of years ago on an frigid, icy, snowy day in Indianapolis (I was defending State champ and had about the worst race of my life). Josh hammered out a solid 10th and put together an awesome ride this weekend. Props.

As you can tell from the pictures (taken by Josh's brother and mom) it has been bone dry here. Hot too; not exactly what one thinks of when thinking about cyclocross. I like to "keep it real" and not race w/ water. That's what the hard men do. But holy crap it is so dusty and dry I feel less hard and more retarded for not racing w/ a bottle right now. I honestly don't even think about it while racing though. I'm sure I'd drink if I had a bottle, but w/out it it doesn't even occur to me.

This weekend is an off weekend for the OVCX, so I'm going to take a couple days off riding and go up to Chicago and visit my brother while his wife and daughter are out of town. I'm going to take my (new) commuter to ride around the city while he's teaching a class, but just chiller riding is all. Should be a fun weekend. I want to check out some pizza, a Chicago Dog, the metal burger joint and some killer Chinese (they live in Chinatown).

1 comment:

ybbond said...

dim sum heaven !