Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Fatty guy

That's my sweet word play w/ the word "fatigue." Get it; fatty guy? See I figure if you're a fat guy, you're probably tired all of the time, so this must be the origin of the word "fatigue." Okay, maybe not. And I haven't put on any weight, but I'm feeling exhausted. I'm having trouble getting out of bed in the mornings and feel as though I'm dragging lately. I think Lindsay's surgery ordeal took a bit out of me, w/ traveling and sleeping (read: being awake all night) in a chair in the hospital AND trying to work out through all that wore me down. Now that I'm home and back in a routine, I'm feeling the effects of it all.
I did manage to ride outside everyday last week (except Sat, which is a no ride day for me). I had some decent quality rides for the weather. Friday I had a 20min power test scheduled. I way prefer to do these outside if at all possible. I told myself if it was above the mid 20's, I was doing it outside. It was 29, so out I went. By the time I got to the course I was using it had started flurrying to boot. Sweet. I cranked the test and was pretty miserably cold, but got it done.
Then Sunday I set out w/ the local flahutes for a 3:30-4hr ride on mostly unpaved roads. It's a ~100k route that goes around the NE/E/SE sides of Lake Monroe including hunter access "roads" that are under water most of the year. Most of the rest of it is gravel roads. Gravel roads are hard in general, but these in particular had relatively fresh gravel that was huge. I'd say the stones were about half the size of (a) fist and very hard to ride on. We were on them for well over an hour. Add to all this that it was freezing or right thereabouts and most everything was snow covered, and the ride gets the nod for the distinction of epic. What was even more epic though, was how bad my back and neck hurt the following day; it was not pleasant. I slept on a heat pad Monday night and felt better Tuesday morning, but man it was rough.
On a totally unrelated and off topic note:
I picked up a bottle of Dave's Gourmet brand Ghost Chili sauce. The Ghost Chili is the hottest pepper in the world, and this sauce is no joke. I mixed some of this about the size of a dime into ~3-4 table spoons of other BBQ sauce and it was very hot. Not un-edible hot, but hot.
And speaking of hot, while the outdoor temps here aren't terrible, it has snowed like a bastard. There will be some indoor riding being done this week. Right now I'm tired, but motivated, so I have to ride this out as long as I can. Then crash and rest for a couple days. Wish me luck!

No comments: