Monday, January 03, 2011

Hospitals, driving, worrying...

My post-Christmas week was a doozy. I can't complain much, I wasn't the one "in" the hospital, rather I was just "at" the hospital.

(I got Lindsay a cat at the gift shop to make her feel a little more at home I really think it helped some)

Being "at" the hospital sucks though. I spent 3 nights and 5 days there. Lindsay spent 5 nights and 6 days there. But she was drugged out for 3 or so of those days and I was totally straight.
I somehow managed to toss together a reasonable week of workouts despite driving back and forth to Indy, sleeping (read: not sleeping) in chairs and/or waiting rooms and dealing w/ the general concerns that surround pancreatic surgery and the recovery that follows.
I had to improvise and use what I had to workout while at the hospital. I ran stairs (ran the first day, but the second day I was too sore to run them, so I more like walked them), did core stuff, did push ups and tried to walk around as much as I could. I rode every day I was home, be it on the trainer or outside if possible and managed to squeeze in almost 10hours of training time, which isn't too bad.
Obviously, our New Years eve was spent in the hospital. We had a "veteran" nurse who has worked every NYE since 1971! She brought sparkling grape juice for the other staff and the patients that could have it. Lindsay was cleared to drink whatever at that point, so we were able to toast in 2011 in a hospital bed w/ grape juice. It was nice and surely memorable.
Lindsay has been a serious trouper through this surgery and I believe she's going to come out of it much stronger. She certainly be much lighter. Not that she needed to loose weight but as if this writing, I'd guess she's consumed ~1500 food calories in the past 8 days.
Finally, for those of you who read my lame-ass blog year after year I'll hit you w/ my 2010 stats: I have 426 training hours (8:02 av/week) and 5,819 recorded miles. My mileage isn't totally accurate because my MTB and CX bikes don't have odometers, so there are miles ridden but not counted. I'd put my mileage right at 6,000 probably. My hours are pretty well accurate. There are a few missed hours where I accidentally deleted a workout before recording it, but it's basically right. My goal is always 500hours. I always have this goal, but go about my biz w/out really actively working toward it specifically.
Well, that's that. 2011, here we come.
Sorry this post is jumbled, but I had a ton happening w/ Lindsay being gone for so long and getting back home yesterday (Sunday), trying to workout, working my job and taking care of all the shit I have to take care of. I have to stay busy all the time, as those that know me know, and I have had no problems w/ that lately!

No comments: