Sunday, January 16, 2011

Unchained

Not only a killer Van Halen song, "unchained" was how my Sunday ride ended.

Notice what's missing in the above pic.........my chain! Mechanicals suck but they happen to us all. I was on a solid group ride w/ ~8 people and a little over 2hrs in I felt something not right in my drivetrain. I couldn't pin in down at first, but after I was able to notice its consistency I new it was the chain. After slowing enough that I could eyeball it I could see I had a link plate popped loose and I knew it wouldn't be long until it snapped completely. I thought if I could totally "baby-it" on any incline I may be able to ride it home. The first "decent hill" after that it snapped and I was calling for a ride.
Luckily the sun was out and the temp wasn't terrible, being stranded in the middle of Jan has the potential to be dangerous. I struck out w/ my first two lifelines but was able to get a hold of a friend just as she was leaving work, so she came and scooped me up. I had to wait nearly 1hr form break to ride, but it was no big deal really.
What amazed me most was the number of people in big ass trucks or SUV's that drove right past me as I was walking w/ a bike in ~32 weather on country roads. Nobody even stopped to ask if wanted a ride (which I would have taken at the early point before I had gotten a hold of anyone). Like, what did these people think I was doing out there, cross training?
Anywho, I'm not complaining much, I still got in over 2.5hrs of riding; which I'll take considering the rest of the week was indoor riding.
This week looks like it may deliver more opportunity for inside riding too. We'll see. This coming weekend looks to be okay so far, but I'll be gone. I'm going to Chicago for the Park Tool Summit, which is a two day hands on series of classes/seminars put on by bike companies for "professional" mechanics. I know some people who went last year and said it was pretty good and worth going to. The actual classes are Monday and Tuesday, but I'm going up Sunday. I'm going to stay at my brother's place and hang w/ then for the few days while I'm there. If I'm going to get myself established as the "cool uncle," I'm going to have to see their daughter more frequently. She's ~5months old now and I can't risk her starting to form memories w/out me there wearing a beer helmet or some other various "'cool uncle' party attire" (like douchy neon Ray-Ban style sunglasses).
So that's bout all I have going on. I think I race in about 6weeks. It seems like a long way away, but it'll be here before I know it. Fucking bring it.

No comments: