Sunday, February 13, 2011

Celebratory Weekend

This weekend saw great weather (for February) and some good riding around here. I normally take Saturday off from riding to pursue my true passion of working, but this Saturday was a "farewell ride" to a good friend and an important cog in the Bloomington cycling community. We met up for an 80mile route that I had never done before, but been curious about for a while. 80miles would be my longest ride in a while and the low pace dictated that this was to be one of the probably top 3 longest rides (time wise) I've ever done (I rarely ride over 4hrs).

But a large showed up and it was so nice out that it made it seem extra easy. I guess 50+ riders showed up to "send off" our friend Gerraint Parry. Just in this picture at a mid ride stop there's like 17 bikes and there were a lot more the lens on my cell-cam didn't get. It was a big ado.
Anyway, I felt really good and although the pace wasn't high, it's probably good to get in a long steady ride every now and then as opposed to the normal hammer fests. (note: my Power Tap hub batteries died before we even left town, so I have no usable data from this ride [similar note, my Power Tap head battery during last weekends ride, so I have little usable data from that{but now all my batteries are fresh}])
In the evening after the ride a bunch of people met at Nick's bar on Kirkwood for a get together in Gerraint's honor. This was my first ever night out at a Bloomington "college bar" while school's in session. It was a fun night and good to hang out w/ so many people.
Sunday I went up to Noblesville to the CIBA bicycle swap meet to try to sell a bunch of stuff. I had hoped to make $500-$600, but I made more like $200. I should have taken it as a bad sign when one of the first dudes I talked to used the phrase "Jewing down" for getting a better deal. It blew my mind to hear that from the mouth a person not wearing a white robe/hood, but I guess it's not too far from Martinsville.
Anywho, while I'm way too keen to think the weather is turning, the long-range forecast is looking favorable for outside rides, so I'm going to take full advantage. It couldn't have come at a better time as I was having good indoor workouts, but I was close to cracking. This little reprieve may end up netting me a couple more solid weeks of inside rides if need be.

No comments: