Monday, February 28, 2011

Good week for recovery

Last week was a scheduled recovery week for me. The weather last week turned back to not-so-good, so it was nice to have the option to sit it out. Actually, the weather turned pretty much back to normal, which isn't really that bad, but given that it was in the 60's all the week before it seemed terrible. Anywho,I took a couple extra days off and was supposed to do a power test on Friday. I had every intention of doing it, until I woke up Friday and there was fresh snow on the ground and it was ~freezing. A lot of people do their testing on an indoor trainer because it removes all outside variables (wind, hills, cars, turns, etc) but I prefer to do it outside because having done them both inside and outside I know that I post higher numbers outside. And your training zones are calculated off of your test numbers and I want my zones to be set as high as possible. So snow + freezing = no test.
I had in mind to get it done Sunday since the weather looked pretty good. I hate to "waste" an entire Sunday of riding to get in a 20min test (to do it properly you have to ride to your "test course" waaay easy, ride 110% totally ballistic for 20min, then all you can do is ride easy (limp) home), I would rather ride a good solid 3+hrs on most Sundays. The weather was such that I could have gone ahead as planned, but there was a good solid strong group rolling for 3+hrs and I wanted to join them. So I blew off testing again. Whatever. I'm not pro and don't get paid. I do what I want.
And in other weather news, nuts to Punxsutawney Phil and groundhogs day; a sure sign of Spring around here is "moose day." The best lil ice cream shop in B-Town opened for the season today (2/28). Did I go? Hell yes I went. Did my hands freeze as I was eating ice cream while wearing a coat and hat? You better believe it. Was it worth it? Big time.
Other than that it's bi as usual. Ride, work, etc.

No comments: