Sunday, April 03, 2011

Disappointing "race" weekend.

This weekend of racing started like most others. Saturday evening is a quick 45min-1hr ride to open up the legs for the coming effort. Then gotta get everything packed and ready. Get the race wheels on the bike and the car loaded. Then eat a whole bunch.
Saturday my back was hurting more than normal all day at work; no huge thing, it happens. When I got home and did my openers session I felt really good, so I wasn't too worried.
Sunday when I got up I felt better than Saturday, so I was feeling ready to go. But when I started stretching (which I do every morning) my lower back was giving me sharp shooting pains. It hurt to stand up and it hurt to sit down. I wasn't sure I wanted to drive to a race, pay to race and have my back limit me and possibly make me quit. I decided to not go race. I hate doing that. I hate not racing when I plan to.
But I wanted to ride. I didn't want to waste the entire day. My general theory on back pain is (I'm) better off doing something to keep moving than lying around all day getting stiff. I have no science to back this up, but it makes sense to me.
I had n option to go mountain biking, which seems like a bad idea w/ a messed up back, but the plan was to ride easy, so I figured 'what the hay,' and went for it. I felt fine riding, but I can't really say it made me feel any better. But I really needed to get my MTB out. It needed to be shaken down. The bike worked well. I need t make a few tweeks and I broke a spoke, but otherwise I'm happy w/ it.
So that was my weekend. W/ my computer being infected, my personal info being stolen, all the crap I am having to do w/ the bank to get that squared away and my back getting screwed up, I think I had a pretty terrible week last week. My life is basically sailing and generally great, so I guess a reality check every now and again is probably good. Let's just hope that it's lesson learned for a while. As of now (Monday am) my back is better, but not as better as I'd hoped it would be (like 100% better). I'll be fine soon enough...

No comments: