Sunday, April 17, 2011

Wind tunnel testing

Not really. I didn't test at a wind tunnel per se, it was just windy as a bastard out today and I rode a power test.
I fully planned on time trialling today (Sunday), but the weather this weekend was not great. It wasn't terrible either, but Saturday was 40-50deg and rainy all day; miserable day. It set a bad stage for Sunday. I decided that if it was above 50deg when I got up to get ready for the TT I would go, under 50, back to bed. It was in the high 30's. It's not that I'm a total wuss (or rather not ONLY that I'm a total wuss) but being in a time trial position pushing as hard as you can on the bike for an hour or so can be bad for your body. And I don't want to acquire a new injury for no good reason. So back to bed I went.
But I rode my TT bike 3 days this week and I figured I'm ready to race. (sweet shadow pic of me on my TT bike. I have a behind-the-seat bottle holder for training because I can only fit 1 small bottle on the bike and barely at that)
So I decided to go out and do a power test since 1) I've needed a good test for a while now and 2) I was race prepped, so no reason to waste it.
I've experimented w/ a couple of different courses now w/ border line embarrassing results on one and consistent good results on the other. I chose "the other" and will continue to do so.
I rode easy out to the start point realized I was going to have a nasty headwind coming back on the test course. I would normally prefer a slight headwind to test, maybe 5mph. But this was more like 20mph, pretty major. Due to my stature and lack of raw power I can't really push huge watts into a killer wind, but I was committed. I got to it and felt really good starting out. But once I got into the wind I felt like I was coming unglued. I felt like my power was dropping and I was really struggling. But I kept going. When I finally finished I was just 3watts off of my personal best. So it was a god test. I felt good enough and it was nice enough day that I went out for another 1.5hrs of riding. All in all I had a good day.
This coming weekend is the first MTB race of the season. There's also a road race I'd like to do and they're on the same day. I'm not sure yet what's going down, but I'll do one or the other.

No comments: