Monday, May 16, 2011

Just training

Last week was just training. After the week prior being mostly a bummer due to being sick and the race weekend being something of a disappointment, I wanted to get a good solid week of training in so that I knew I was still capable (it's crazy how a bad week can kill your confidence).
I bounced back pretty good and was able to solidly knock out every minute of every interval for the week and feel good doing it. And I had a pretty hard week.
The temps here were unseasonably warm all of last week. It was in the 90's one day and in the 80's the rest. I ride pretty well in the heat usually, so I was fine. I had a work meeting Tuesday morning so I had to get out that evening which I generally don't prefer (riding in the evening). But local hammer Erik Hamilton had a teammate in town so a few of us went out and did some solid hard vo2 intervals. That was my first hard session back after not feeling good the week before and I felt really good that set.
I did two more solid-to-hard days during the week, then the weekend came. And the temps dropped. And it rained. But I wanted to cap the week w/ a solid paced long ride Sunday. I was able to find two other local hardmen willing to go out for 3 or more hours in the rain/50*. So we did. We didn't ride particularly hard, but very steady. And we faced a stiff wind in the face out of the north for a long period of this ride. And it rainded the entire time non stop. Long steady cold wet windy miles will wear on you. And my body is sore from the day. But I'm glad I put in the time. We ended up riding a climb which is a road that is never in good condition, but was in terrible condition due to all the rain we've had. We've climbed it anyway and since it was my great idea, I had to be the only one to get a flat on it. Que cera.
I'm going to get out the time trial bike this week and look into some legit suffering. I'm behind of where I typically am in terms of time trialling this year. There's a local 10mile TT tomorrow (Tuesday) and then a local (in Seymour) 20k TT this weekend. I'm planning to go to the Seymour event if the weather isn't bad.
Then I'm going to do some MTB racing in a few weeks. It's hard to even think much about MTB riding w/ the rain we've had, but it's coming soon enough.

No comments: