Monday, June 06, 2011

DINO MTB BCSP

I think I use that post title (or something very similar) once a year, but for some reason a big long string of letters abbreviating something kind of cracks me up.
Anywho this week's lead up was to the DINO MTB race at Brown County State Park; my first MTB race of the year (and really my 2nd MTB ride of the year). My fitness is good, but I was a little worried about my ability to handle a bicycle going 20+mph on a trail. But I made major equipment changes this past winter/spring so I was excited to race on my new setup.
This off road race starts on a ~1/5mile road climb; a nasty one at that. It would be hard enough on a road bike, but racing that climb on knobby tires and w/ suspension is way difficult. But I'm pretty confident in my road climbing so I wasn't overly worried. Plus I know there's usually 1 or 2 guys who shoot up the first pitch like a rocket, only to blow sky high shortly thereafter. So I rode hard and stayed in good position, but didn't panic when people going mad; I just stayed steady-hard. I went into the trail in 3rd position and quickly took over 2nd. I held second for most of the first lap but was being closed on by someone. Heading into the second lap I let him pas me, but held onto his pace for a good portion of lap #2. He eventually gaped me on a decent and I settled into my own rhythm in 3rd place. In about the same place that I was overtaken the previous lap, 4th place was breathing down my neck. We were close enough to a climb that I did not plan to let him pass, as I assumed I could climb faster than him and re-gap him. However, as I was thinking of all this my under-seat bag (which is probably 12years old) was coming un-velcro'd form my seat. Next thing I knew it was in my wheel and I had to stop to get it out. Boom! there I went onto 4th place. I tried to shove the bag into my jersey pocket but it wouldn't fit. So I had to get the straps sorted out and re-attach it. Boom, boom, boom, there go 3-5 more people. I considered just tossing the bag, but I KNEW 100% of I did that I WOULD get a flat requiring me to need the tube and air canister in it. So I got it on and started chasing. But the damage was done. I ended up 8th. But I wasn't unhappy with that. I rode really well and felt really good.
When I got in I heard that Lindsay had won her race straight up. That pumped me up. For us mortals it takes a long time to get good at bike racing; there's just so much involved. She says her field wasn't as stacked as usual, but maybe she's starting to get it.
Sorry I don't have any sweet photos, but no one really takes pictures at DINO races anymore.
My training is becoming a little more focused on the State Time Trial championship, but I'm going to do a few more MTB races through the summer. It's pretty fun really.

No comments: