Sunday, August 07, 2011

40k all the way

I hadn't really planned (read: fully committed to) on going to Monrovia for a 40TT this weekend, but there were only two left for the season and I really felt I needed to get one in. I've been getting into some more specific training, but honestly, riding as hard as you can for 25miles is just something I cannot do without the motivation of a start line/finish line. So this was probably pretty good training. I had the underlying goal of beating my personal best time for this course, which I guess is pretty much always to goal. That aside, the goal is always to go under 1hr in order to score the Sub Hour Club T-shirt.
There was a light but stiff wind going out on the course, but it wasn't enough that you could really tell if you had the wind your face or if you were having a bad day. Headwind out/tailwind in is ideal for a TT, but I like to know before hand that I'm going into the wind, otherwise it just seems like you've blown. But I kept it smooth and steady and although my time at the turnaround had me down on my previous best, I knew once I hit a couple of time markers (houses/bridges along the way that I know are X minutes form the finish) on the way in that I was on PR. I rolled in at 53.49 which is 50seconds better than my previous best time. I really wanted to go under 54min this year. I had 39 seconds to play with and still PR for the course, but not go under 54, so I was happy to have gone sub54.
Otherwise, I'm back to structured training after a couple weeks off of it.
We also went to the wedding of two friends/local cycling couple Erik Hamilton and Caitlin Coar (Hamilton). It was a nice get together and the speeches delivered by both groomsman and bridesmaids were really nice. They've been together as long as I've known them, so I'm sure they'll have a wonderful life.
With that, it's another week, more of the same. God I love regularity.

No comments: