Sunday, September 04, 2011

No Rain

It was supposed to rain but it didn't. A cold front definitely pushed in, but w/out the usual fanfare of storms/wind/etc. I had a so/so training week and wanted to get in a good longer road ride Sunday before the CX season gets underway because there aren't a ton of free weekends to get in longer road miles once racing gets going. I kind of planned Sundays ride around the storms that never came...and that's just fine.
As for my so/so week, I had a few little things add up to get my head out of it. We had a sick cat that required 2 visits to the vet. Also I had to meet at our house w/ an appraiser because we are refinancing due to mortgage rates being hella-way low. Plus I have been taking care of my neighbor's cats for, like, 6 weeks now. She had foot surgery and is staying somewhere else. Not a huge thing, but she is a compulsive hoarder like you see on the TV shows. It's kind of stressful to go through her house, which is 1 path through stuff piled ~4-5' high.
Tuesday I got my planned workout done as needed, but didn't feel good doing it. Wednesday I had a meeting w/ a rep, that turned into an evening ride w/ the rep. In our industry riding w/ a rep typically would mean riding way slow/waiting for some fat dude who "used to be a sick cat II." But our Giant rep is totally legit and we rode out to Wapahani Park and did some follow the leader (he on a MTB, me on a CX) so I was riveted while following his lead. Thursday I had a good workout and felt really good doing it.
Then as mentioned above I wanted to get a long road ride in Sunday. I wanted to do some good roads that I don't do all of the time so I planned my route to include Grandma Barnes rd and North Shore Drive, but from east to west (I almost always do this road the other direction) .

Grandma Barnes road always makes me think there will be the smell of cookies and/or pies being baked on it. You know, grandma stuff. But it is one of the more difficult climbs in the area. So there's pie all right: humble pie (that was a terrible joke, I should probably delete that...). Anyway, I had a great ride and felt really good.
On another note: Lindsay and I went out to dinner and then went out for drinks afterwards; what old married couples call a "date night." We NEVER really do this, so it was nice. I'm super frugal plus try to be pretty conscious about what I eat and sometimes (most of the time) that = no fun.
So, this weekend is the first CX race of the season in these parts. It's a non-series race, but a good "warm up." I'm looking forward to it, I just hope it's not too hot.

No comments: