Monday, September 19, 2011

One down...

This past weekend was the series opener of the Ohio Valley Cyclocross Series. Race #1. And since I was speedy with my mouse finger and registered first, I got the #1 to pin on.
It rained on-and-off pretty much all day. I arrived at the venue some 6hours before my race to get Lindsay there in time for her race (which she won). I started pre-riding the course early, since I was there anyway and the conditions were wet and sloppy in places. I switched over to my "wet tires" thinking this was going to be a mud race. But a lot can change in 6 or so hours. It did spit rain on/off, but by the time our race got going the course had dried up to a perfect tack. I would say it was perfect; I switched back to intermediate tires and that was a good choice.
Our races are different for 2011. The organization has lumped the Elite Master's racers into our race which as an effect nearly triples our field. Having 50 or so men in an Elite race made it far more interesting. Way more happening during the race. I got a good start and got "settled in" to a good group and rode a good race. I felt really good, but with ~3 laps to go my legs started cramp in places. Fighting odd cramps and riding 100% effort is a very challenging balance. I worked through it and finished 13th. I was 8th of the non master's Elite's. Not bad. I was happy with that for my first race of the year on what many consider the hardest course of the series.

Not sure what's up w/ this picture. My guess is I had just spit, but maybe I'm just trying to look stupid.

This weekend is the Indy double weekend which is usually in December. I don't think I've ever raced at the Indy venues in above freezing temps, so this will be kind of weird. Not to mention doubles are always hard; shouldn't be as bad as last year though which featured blizzard-like conditions Saturday, then frigid (sub 20) temps Sunday. Add into that trying to clean/prep both of my bikes in the waaay sub freezing temps and in the dark Saturday night, and that' a weekend I will probably never forget. These races being in the fall rather than the dead of winter should remedy that.

No comments: