Sunday, January 01, 2012

20fckn12

Holy crapoli. Another year has passed. 2011 was definitely a great year, but I can't really fully reflect just yet because I'm not done racing for 2011 yet. I can recall last New Year's Eve though. It was spent in an Indianapolis Hospital w/ Lindsay after her surgery. This time of year last year kind of sucked; 10+ days in the hospital, me going back/forth and spending several nights in a waiting room. But at least I hadn't been cut opened and had to have tubes going into and coming out of me, right?

Anywho, NYE this year was spend racing bikes! And in true form, the beer helmets were out and in full effect.
I'm not sure that these are UCI legal, but nobody was checking this day. Also in true form of the 2011 season, it was muddy as all hell. This course in Zionsville was tough. The ground was very wet and to make matters more difficult, the grass was very long and thick. It wasn't a "groomed" cross course. It was a full-on slog.
My race was good/bad. Not in that order though. It was actually bad/good. I got off to a good enough start, but then I started crashing. And I don't mean bobble-put-your-foot-down, I mean off the bike, on the ground crashing. I think I was on the ground 4-5 times. I crashed more this weekend than I do in a typical season. This saw me kind of buried back in the field and having to ride around people that I normally wouldn't be around. I eventually got my head on straight and started making up places. Once I started riding and stopped making mistakes I rode myself into 4th place which is where I finished. What started out looking like a total disaster turned into an okay race.
After leaving Zionsville we continued north to my parent's house for a late family Christmas. My brother, his wife and their daughter were there as well. We spent the night and did Christmas stuff on the morning of Jan1. It was a nice weekend with everyone.
That brings us to this week. This is really the last training week before the Master's World Championships. Our race got moved to Friday 1/13 (Friday the 13th!), so the following week isn't really going to be much in terms of actual training. We're going to go down mid-week to scout the course and get our numbers, so this week is all that's really left. And a cold front is parking here for next few days. Actually, it was carried in today by 30-50mph winds from the west. It was a little sketchy driving home today with that kind of wind. But I'm not complaining about having a few cold (probably average) days because we have been above average so far and the weather has been really good considering.
So that's that. Happy New Year people. Make 2012 good for you and yours; I intend to for me and mine.

No comments: