Sunday, February 19, 2012

Good times rollin

The weather was kind of all over this week, as it has been most of this winter. It started off cold at the beginning of the week, but steadily got warmer, but also rainy, then ended with perfect winter riding conditions of 40's and some sun.
I put in a decent trainer workout earlier this week and it occurred to me that normally by now I am dreading riding the trainer and would rather go outside when it's, like, 20degrees than ride trainer anymore. But I have ridden trainer so few times this year ("this year" being from November or so), that I don't really mind getting on it for a workout right now. I counted back and I've been on the trainer just 8 times since November. That's crazy. I have been doing short (sub 1hr) recovery rides on rollers regularly for awhile now, and while that's inside riding, I don't count it as a "trainer session/workout."
I kind of blew it Wednesday. I (thought I) had a "meeting" scheduled and I wanted to get one longish ride in during the week. So I planned a route for wed that (I thought) would be ~1:15-1:30 so I could get home and get to work to meet w/ the dude who was coming by. I went out and busted the ride, but in under 1hr. Oops. Sometimes I'm really bad at guessing how long a route will take. Sometimes I'm right on though. Whatever, point it I rode for ~1hr, then it turns out we were meeting on Thursday anyway. Bummer.
Well since I blew it Wed, I had to get the longer ride in Thurs because I knew I had a meeting Friday. Thursday was rather warm (for Feb), so I was able to get out earlier than normal and get in a little over 2hrs. It rained almost the entire time (never hard, but very wet nonetheless) and being wet in the 40's can be bad, but it was a pretty good ride. I wore my C-Dale Morphis rain jacket and stayed dry and warm enough (on my top half). No problem.
Sunday a group of Speedway Wheelmen (and Wheelwomyn) were meeting out in Hoosier National Forest to scout the route for the Death March race coming up in a couple weeks. I decided to tag along for some seat-time and to do something different. It'd be mostly gravel roads and many that I'd not ever ridden. It was tons of fun and really cool to ride even more of the killer gravel roads that are all within about 20miles of my front door. I was feeling really good and riding really well. It was a great day over all. I did get the one flat of the day on Combs Road (which loc's know in no way, shape or form resembles a road). Combs is basically a single track climb. I've only been on it once before and it was snowy/icy and I had to walk most of it. This time up I flatted (or I noticed I was flat) about 3/4 of the way up, but I was determined to not walk it for any reason, so I finished it off on a rear flat and fixed it at the top. Success!
This occurred roughly halfway into the ride and I always get worried if I flat and use my spare tube with hours yet to go. But I guess that's just part of the game we play. Besides, we had like 10 people there, so I'm sure I could have bummed a tube off of someone if needed.
The rest of the ride went well and it was an awesome day.
I think I'm going to start some intervals this week. I've been doing a good amount of steady riding, but it's probably about time to mix it up a bit. Weeeeeeeeeeeee!

No comments: