Sunday, February 26, 2012

I must be having too much fun

Because time is flying. Maybe it shouldn't blow my mind that it is the end of February already, but it does. It occurred to me that if time is flying by, my life is flying by. And while I'm not a pro wrestler (like I was sure I would be when I was 10 or so yrs old) I'm doing pretty well by my (admittedly low) standards. Enough positive crap though, on the negative end, I broke one of my favorite mugs this week.
I've had this for probably 10yrs and use(d) it on the reg. I was getting a different mug out of the cabinet when I knocked this one out. It hit the counter below and was fine...but then it fell to the floor and blew up like a Shimano LX hub on the Blueridge Parkway (not many people will get that joke, but it's a Bikesmiths classic). RIP Chris King mug.
In terms of bike riding this week, the weather continues to be awesome, so I started up some light interval work. Nothing too hard, just something to remind me and my body of what it's like to hold steady power for a given amount of time. I really enjoy interval riding, so it was nice to get back at it.
Sunday was another warm (for Feb), sunny day albeit wind as a bastard. I decided to ride w/ the Sunday noon ride from The Bakehouse which is usually 20 or so guys. Since the weather was so favorable, there were plenty of people in attendance and even some guys from Indy coming down. This group is so big that you can do whatever really. If you're not strong you can sit in or if you want you can get in the mix at the front and go nose to the wind. I generally intend to get a workout so I try to take long pulls in the beginning (5min or so), then meter them down to 1-2 minutes as others get frisky.
The group split as the hills began to show themselves and it was the usual 6-8 guys in a group. We kept the pace pretty high into a strong headwind. We reached Hwy 50 ("the flashers") which is one of the two turn around spots. We stopped and because I had a bunch of cleaning to do around the house I planned to turn back. The rest of the group was going to wait for the group behind and I figured that may take 10minutes for all to re-group and get going again and I wasn't interested in waiting that long. So Fred and I took off alone and I guess the rest of "our" group ended up going on the Hwy 58 ("2nd flashers"). So Fred and I rode back alone with the tailwind, traded pulls and made short work of the way back. It was a good solid 2+hrs. And I got (most of) the cleaning I had on list done!
Also, I got my Giant out for the first time this year. I've been riding my "winter" bike (which is pretty nice in its own right), but it hasn't been overly wintery, and I wanted to get out my "A" bike. It's freshly overhauled, new chain, new cables, etc and man it's sweet. This bike fits me so well and rides so great. It's such a great bike. Carbon fiber: believe the hype.

No comments: