Saturday, February 11, 2012

Look who decided to show up

Now that we're halfway through Feb, Old Man Winter decided to blow through. Sure everything has been dead/dormant for months, but it hasn't really been too nasty outside. Well it got nasty-cold for this weekend. But I still got 3 decent outside rides in this week.
Today w/ a raging high temp of ~30, we decided to to ride of road bikes and hit some gravel roads. When it's really cold I like to get off the open roads where you just sit and get battered by the cold wind. Plus if I'm going to hit ice patches, I'd rather it be at a slower speed, with fewer people around and preferably not on pavement. We definitely hit some ice patches today, but thankfully we didn't go down. We put in a solid under 3/over 2.5hrs on gravel and some roads.
All this nice weather got me thinking though. I usually attribute a lot of my early season strength to my willingness to get out and do the work in the bad conditions. I've said for a while that "any pussy can get out and ride when it's 70, but to get out when it's nasty, you have to really want it." Of course it hasn't been in the 70s here, but you get the idea. I have a feeling people are going to be faster earlier than in years past. And with my CX season stretching into mid January, I'm getting a later start than in years past. But regardless of all that, I have been getting some good rides in. I also feel pretty fit in general with the off the bike things I've been doing.
I'm still not sure when/what my first race(s) will be, but it'll get figured out. I'm going to start reintroducing some intervals in the next few weeks too. Speaking of new things happening, Lindsay and I are scheduled to become aunt/uncle for the second time this week. My brother and his wife are expecting their second bundle of joy on Friday the 17th. I'm told these dates aren't always 100% firm, but it should be somewhere around there I guess. They're not into being told the sex of the child prior to birth, but I have my guess as to what this one will be. It may be worth noting that I was wrong with their daughter, but with I like my 50/50 chance with #2. So sketchy uncle Adam will have 2 opportunities to teach cuss words, etc to the young'ens. I'm told Ramona (#1) is just about talking...can't wait....

No comments: