Saturday, March 24, 2012

This post ~should~ have been a race report

But I didn't go race.
I'm a ritual/habitual type of person. I haven't raced a bicycle since January, so my BDR (day-before-race) habits/rituals are less habit and more memory at this point. It gets this way every year when I haven't raced for awhile.
Mix into that the severe weather that rolled through B-town Friday night and it screwed up everything for me. Normally I would go out and do an hour or so of an "opener" routine. But tornado sirens were going off on my ride home from work, so I decided that may not be the wisest thing to do. Given my general disposition, I do not like severe weather. It truly is an phenomenon out of (my) control. I just have to sit and hope that me and mine will be okay. But I worry about it; that's just the way I am. Point is: severe weather stresses me out, severely. I needed to go to the grocery store anyway, so I waited out the storm and went shopping. This resulted in a ~9:30pm dinner, and no openers. No big deal really, but just "off." I went to bed thinking I was RTR (ready to race) but woke up 99% not feeling it. Add to that a chance for more severe weather and an email from the promoter saying "expect to be racing in storms" and that was all I needed to bag it. Of course the weather turned out perfect, but I got things done around here that I needed to do. And I rode for a couple hours anyway.

Here's a pic of the storm sky here from Friday evening. Funnel clouds all over, but no touchdowns, thankfully.

Last week was intended as a recovery week anyway. I had some good rides, but probably put in a little more effort/time than I should have for a 'proper' recovery week. But whatever, on we go.
I fully realize the meat of this post about me not going to a race I planned to go to. I like to race, and I don't like to back out of things. So this is me justifying it. Bottom line is: I do this for fun, so if I'm not feeling it, it doesn't make much sense to do it.
We're going to TN at the end of this week, so I'm going to put in a couple rides here, then it's off to the Smokys for some mountain riding. The weather here has been simply awesome overall, and it is forecasted to cool down a bit. That's fine; 80's in March is weird. It's supposed to be about 10* warmer in TN while we're there, so 60's here, 70's there. Should be great!

No comments: