Monday, April 23, 2012

Another weeeknd or "road racing" (racing on pavement)

This weekend was the re-scheduled Cereland race in Columbus, IN from last weekend's wash out. I went into this with no real ambition; it's a basically flat 1.4mile loop: not my terrain. The fact is that on course like this just about anyone can sit in. So if you try to get off the front you have, like, 30 fresh guys ready to chase you down. Still though, I figure I really don't have much to loose either, so I'm willing to at least try to get away.
A couple of early attempts were made by various people, but they didn't go anywhere. Then a strong guy form Upland cycling went and knowing he's capable of winning I decided to jump off and join him. We were off for a good 5-6 laps, but it was about 20min into the race and it was just too early for only two people.  
 
When I left the pack to bridge to this guy there was another strong guy at the front. I motioned for him to come with me but h didn't. I fully believe that if we had at least one, maybe two more more guys in this early move it would have stuck. But that's road racing.

Back in the pack, I used a few laps to recover then waited for the next promising move. I never really came so I figured I'd go with a few laps to go. Speedway Wheelmen had several people in this race, so with 6 or so laps to go we started sending guys off the front for as long as they could stay out, then send another when the first was brought back. With two to go I went and thought for sure someone would go with me. I checked for the position of two guys I know are strong and they were in a good place to jump out with me. But they didn't. So I was solo and was quickly brought back. Getting caught with one lap (~2-3minutes) left is rough because you're inevitably going to get shuffled back at least 10 or so places. So coming to the line (which is slightly uphill) I had to try to find holes through which I could fit to advance. That's not safe and not ideal. I finished 15th. Oh well.   
Lindsay's race unfolded in such a way that she not only found herself on the third step of the podium, but she also got paid. Which bought our food on the way back because I came home empty handed!
This coming weekend is the first 40k time trial of the year. I haven't put in a ton of time on the TT bike, but I think I can go well (enough). TTing in the cold isn't really worth doing (without a stage race following), so if it's cold I probably won't go. But as of now I'm planning on it.
In non-cycling news our TV crapped out on us Sunday. I got the TV we had (a really nice Sony set) for free in probably 2000. When I turned it around to see what might have happened to it I saw the production date sticker on it was from October 1993. I'd say it served it's time and did it well (and cheap for me). So I went and got a new TV. They're all flat screen now. What really blew my mind though (and my back/arms) was how much the old Sony weighs. I bet it weighs ~100lbs. The new 32" flat panel probably weighs less than 20lbs. Crazy. At least I got my strength workout in before I sat around and watched TV for the rest of the day.              

No comments: