Sunday, April 08, 2012

Down with the sickness

I think I got caught up in the perfect storm to get sick this week. A combo of a big training week the previous week, high allergens and a cold bug going around shut me down.(I googled for a picture of a germ and found the one above. I chose it because it looks like Meat Wad)

My week went like this: Monday I did 30min super easy riding for recovery from the prior days in TN. I wanted to build on the fitness I'd gained in TN (but that was all long sustained effort), so Tuesday I went out for some short, hard intervals. I felt great and killed the session; good sensations. But by late Tuesday afternoon I knew I was getting sick. I hardly slept at all that night and had the sore throat/runny nose/feeling incredibly weak, etc crap happening. Wednesday I was out. No riding, no nothing. If I hadn't just missed 3 days of work, I probably wouldn't have gone in, or at least not stayed all day. But I had stuff to do, and I'm a worker first. Thursday, same. Friday I still wasn't feeling well, but I NEEDED to get out on the bike. I went out for 1hr before work and tried to ride a reasonable pace, but it wasn't happening. It took way too much effort to just push recover pace. Plus I was blowing snot all over myself. Saturday is my normal day off of riding anyway, so I stuck to the plan and worked all day.So Sunday, I just needed to get out for a couple hours with no plan, just ride. I tried to get a couple of people to go with me, but no one could. I wanted someone there to push me a bit, but I went out solo and although I felt pretty much like crap, I had good power.
I am feeling better, though still have a lot of nasal mucous (but I rock the neti pot hardcore) and some head congestion. I plan to race next weekend, so I need to pull it together this week. I'm going to try to do some intervals Tuesday, hopefully I am able to get it done.
Oh yeah, I almost forgot, Lindsay and I got a new car this week. We got a Mazda 5. Our Ford Focus was a great car, but getting up there in miles. I knew it was going to need replaced before too long, so I figured we might-as-well just do it now. The 5 is super roomy for cargo. It is a little bigger in all directions than the Focus, which is great for our purposes. I think it's going to be a great bike hauler. It has a little less "people room" than the Ford (smaller seats, less leg room) but I've heard Japanese cars are like this because they're not necessarily designed w/ fat-ass Amerikkkans in mind. I can dig that.

No comments: