Monday, April 30, 2012

Dr's, meetings, guitars, Cadillacs, etc, etc...

I had to get up and get going earlier than normal almost every day this week for various reasons. I had 2 Dr. appointments (one led to another...more later) and an earlier than normal meeting with a rep. When you're as much a creature of habit as I am it's easy to get derailed, but I did manage to get in a pretty solid training week.
 The morning temps are all over the place right now, and as such the winds are all over the place too. I got out Tuesday for some solid TT intervals, but had the dreaded headwind out/tailwind back scenario. I do 4 sets of the ints, so that's 2 head wind and 2 tail. This makes things difficult because the outs are harder than they should be and the backs are easier than they should be (these are cadence based ints, so maintaining "x" cad into the wind is much hard than maintaining the same cadence w/ it at your back) (and the power profile changes a lot). But whatever, that's real world conditions and I got em done.
The TT ints were done in preparation for a 40k TT this weekend. But the temps Sunday morning (these TT's start at 7:30am) were cool enough that doing a 40k in them is not ideal. So I skipped it and went mountain biking w/ some friends from Indy. We had a good MTB ride and pre-rode for an MTB race this weekend. I hadn't initially planned to do this particular MTB race, but I think I will.
To keep true to the title of this post I need to expand on the "Guitar, Cadillacs, Etc, Etc" part of the title: Friday night we went to Indy (Carmel) to see Dwight Yoakam play.


  Our seats were interesting: we were above and behind the band. But they rocked it out and in terms of set-list, acoustics and over sound of the band, it was one of the best shows I've ever been to. I'm not a country music fan, generally speaking, but I 1) really like Dwight and 2) can get into most good "honky-tonk" style country music. It was a a great show.
So as mentioned above, I plan to race the MTB this weekend. And that's about it. There's not a lot going on race-wise in May, so I'm not sure what all I will be doing next month (which starts tomorrow). Then I think I'll mostly be racing MTB and some TT's for the next couple of months. But the few times I've been out on the MTB I've felt pretty good, so maybe I'm due for a good year on the dirt. We'll see... 

No comments: