Sunday, April 15, 2012

Heavy weather, cancelled races, reshceduled race, cancelled agian...

...and that was just Saturday.
I planned to race the Indiana Race Series races both days this weekend. Saturday morning I was awoken pre-alarm by loud noises. There are apartments across from our house and sometimes the truck comes and empties the dumpsters rather early. I though that's what the noise was. The flashing light that followed indicated it was a storm though.
I went ahead and got up/got ready to even though the radar was a mess and it was storming pretty heavily. The races appeared to not be taking place according to the internets. After much debate I decided to not waste a trip over, even though I wasn't 100% things were cancelled. It turns out the races were called, but then rescheduled for an hour later. I found out this info with not enough time to get over to Columbus for my start anyway. But shortly after hearing this news I checked the even t website and it simply said "races cancelled." Official word is they ended up having a couple of races (mine included) but cancelling others. If I would have gone, I could have raced. But hey, I didn't know.
Sunday's forecast called for high temps (80's) and windy (30's). The weather man got it right for once. The race was in Mooresville, IN on a park circuit that I've done before, but it's been a couple of years. The race was pretty uneventful overall. There were a couple of teams represented that I expected to be controlling things and making the moves. But there was no real organization. I just kind of hung at the front for most of the race, then attacked with 1lap to go and was swept up with like 30' to go. Finished 9th. In the money, but nothing spectacular. I don't really care for short lap format road racing (crit racing), so I just wanted to get some racing in with no real expectation. It felt really good to be racing again, and to get a few dolla billz for it makes it even better!
The weather this weekend was interesting for sure, but the weather throughout the week was rather 'different' as well. It got cold on us again. I got in some good rides/workouts, but it was in the 30's for a couple of them. I'm still not 100% not-sick, so getting out in the cold like that kind of sucked (it kind of sucks anyway, but when you're all congested it's that much worse). I am feeling MUCH better though. I haven' had to be blowing my nose the passed couple of days and the general head congestion is going away. This will have lasted more than two weeks by the time it's gone. But those are the breaks; honestly I'm just happy to be healthy overall.



Speaking of healthy, while rained out of racing Saturday I instead helped Lindsay w/ her "square foot gardens" she put in our yard. I really didn't do much; I built the boxes and she did all the rest of the work. She got them positioned, filled and planted all in the pouring rain. Should be pretty cool once stuff starts growing. We do have deer in our yard regularly, so I may have to use the skills taken from building these boxes and make myself a tree stand and get a bow. Then I can drink tons of beer and shoot deer. So we will be growing our own veggies and harvesting our own meet (you know, from all the deer I will shoot). I like the occasional steak too, so hopefully a cow or two wander through...and maybe some chickens...

No comments: