Sunday, June 24, 2012

The Chicago trip and the week that followed

Last weekend I made the trip up to The Big Windy to hang w/ my brother's family and check out a band I'd been wanting to see. As you know from the last post, I was nursing a freshly blown-out back and sitting in the car for 4hrs was not exactly what I wanted to be doing. But I made sure to move around a lot while driving and text as much as possible to keep my mind off of it (jk). Once there we rode bikes pretty much everywhere we went, which I think is good for me in those situations; sitting around just seems to make it stagnant.
This wasn't quite the food tour that my trips there usually are, but we did go to Lou Malnati's pizza, which was killer-good. After that we went all over town including up to Wrigley Field, which I had never been up to before. There was a game starting in a few hours when we were there, so it was bustling.We spent a few hours out on bikes which was nice. It was 90+ outside, but it really didn't feel all that hot.
Sunday evening we went to a a food festival a couple miles north of my brother's specifically to see The Hold Steady play.        

(I don't want this photo to get out. I like my job at Bikesmiths and I'm afraid that Rolling Stone may come calling when they see what great rock photographer I am)

They were really good and I'm really glad I got to see them. 





Also Sunday was Father's Day, so we took this picture to send to our Dad.

It was a short but nice visit. I left Monday afternoon, but we did some more running around before I left. And I rode everyday this week once I got back home. So although two days were on my commuter bike I still rode everyday last week. And as of today (Sunday) my back feels pretty normal, which is to say it still hurts, but not as bad. I did a long(er) hard(ish) ride today mostly as a test/to prove to myself that I could. It wasn't w/out some discomfort, but I put out good numbers and got it done. I needed that.
This weekend is MTB racing over in North Vernon, IN. It's a 2-day affair with a short track race Saturday and then the standard cross country race Sunday. Hopefully everything keeps getting better and I'm R-T-R for the weekend!      

No comments: