Monday, September 10, 2012

One done

Well, the seal is broken on CX season 2012. The first race of the Indiana Cross Series (ICX) was this weekend just outside Muncie, in Yorktown. Muncie is my "'adopted' hometown" so I can't miss this race. I see a lot of old friendly faces as well as a lot of new faces that I don't know, but are on the scene in Muncie; you know, my old scene.  So it's cool like that.


Plus it's a CX race, right? And given that it's a non OVCX race, but still with good competition, it's a great way to get reintroduced to what CX is all about. Because let's face it, you have to race to get that kind of effort in. Theres' no way I can train at 180bmp for an hour. No way. 


downhill "plunge'
Last year at this race there were 4 Elite men. 2 were way fast and the other two of us were racing for third. That totally killed my motivation to go all out. This year there were 13 elites. Pretty good turn out. Enough for a race anyway. 


My race went pretty well. I've been doing some CX riding, but you never really now how racing will go until you get one done. I was able to tolerate the effort and I rode technically well too. This was set up as a pretty technical, but also really difficult course. So lots of hard up-and-down, but also a lot of hard cornering. I rode in 5th-8th or so most of the race. I crashed once and lost two laces, but battled them back. It took 2-3 laps to get back up to the guys who passed me while I was down, but I made it and ended up 5th. I was pretty happy with how it went.
This week will be more of the same training leading into the OVCX opener this weekend. The big leagues. Or the big(ger) leagues anyway. I am rather looking forward to it.   

No comments: