Wednesday, December 05, 2012

OVCX 11. Brookside Park, Indy

This weekend was the 11th stop of the OVCX in Indianapolis. It was "unseasonably" warm for December and the forecast was calling for most-of-the-day rain. The temps hovered in the low to mid 60's and the rain came the night before; it didn't even sprinkle during the race day. But the course was left mostly muddy/slick from the previous night's rain. 



Despite taking several (3, 4?) sighting laps, I had completely forgotten the start sequence. I thought it far further up on the pavement than it did. So while we're setting up to transition from pavement to grass, I'm still rallying with my head down full blast. Luckily I sensed/saw peripherally that people around me were setting up for a transition and was able to react; it could have been worse...(me plowing through tape, etc)
But for some reason I had the entire first part of the lap out of sequence in my head, so it was pretty much like I hadn't ridden it yet. I didn't have a particularly great start anyway and this didn't help matters.


I don't know if it's the little cold I've had lingering that cost me a % or two, but I felt completely gassed the entire time. I rode a decent race, but just felt totally at the limit the whole time. I doubt that anyone rode a completely flawless race given how slick/muddy it was, I made very few mistakes. I just felt throttled.



This race had a good number of fast guys toeing the line. If I had one of my best races of the year, I'd still probably be looking at 13th place or so. Given the way I felt, I was happy to have finished 19th; one spot still in the money!   



This race was put on by my team, so we helped tear down the course afterwards. Speedway Wheelmen are absolute aces when it comes to course set up/tear down. Because I'm the last race of the day, I have to go to my car and chill out for a minute and change clothes and stuff before I can help. They are normally most of the way done before I even get a chance to help. I'm usually too tired to be of much help anyway, but I do what I can.


This weekend is the penultimate round in the OVCX at John Bryan Park in Yellow Springs, OH. That's right, the same race that last year I "hung out with" Dave Chapelle after. Maybe we'll see him again. I'm sure he want to catch up w/ me.

After this weekend it's just one more race for me and it's in Indy. This season is feeling long and my body is feeling tired. I decided awhile back that I wasn't going to do Worlds this year and I thought I may change my mind. But I am good with that decision. I don't want to or really think I can squeeze another 4+ weeks out of this season.
But I am looking way forward to going and watching the Elite World Championships in Feb. It's going to be awesome!  









No comments: