Tuesday, December 11, 2012

OVCX 12, Yellow Springs, OH. That just sucked

You can probably figure out from these two pictures how this story will go.



Too bad for you you have to read though it anyway!


This passed weekend was OVCX #12, the penultimate of the 2012 series. It's a long haul from here over in Yellow Springs, OH, home of Dave Chapelle


 I usually like this race. Even though I have crashed somewhat badly two years in a row now. Bummer is I rode a pretty decent race and had good legs this year.


This was another "forecasted rain all day" scenario. Again, it didn't happen though. I think it did rain most of Friday and Saturday, so the course was plenty muddy. Plus it rained for a bit during the day, but it was clear skies for our race (and by "clear" I mean totally clouded over, but not raining).



They changed the "normal" start at this race and moved it form a really long uphill paved road to a shorter, but still uphill grass start. No big thing, roll w/ the punches. However, I missed my pedal on the start, something I rarely do. This didn't cost me much, but definitely a few places going into the turns. 





Shortly after the first series of turns cam another off camber series of turns. I had ridden and re-ridden this series prior to starting and decided that running the exit of this series of turns was fastest. Especially in the first lap scrum. As I was running this short steep rise, another rider was trying to ride it and cut across the hill ramming into me. No big deal, this is racing and this stuff happens (especially in the first lap scrum). But after ramming into me he starts yelling, cussing and calling me names, etc. I know who this guy is and I know he's faster than me, so as we're approaching a 180* turn onto mud-scattered pavement, I looked back as he's berating me to say "chill man, that wasn't intentional." As soon as I got out those words I lost my front wheel on the slick pavement and crashed. Cut knee, shown above, and my bike was damaged too.
 


I had people waiting and ready in the pit by the time I got around, but having to pit messes up (my) rhythm. I had already lost a lot of places and my "B" bike doesn't have mud tires on it, so on a muddy course I am slower on it. I think I did 2 laps on my "B" bike while they got my "A" sorted out. Once they did I was able to get back on mud tires and ride faster.


I bet I had dropped nearly 20 places, so I had a lot of passing to do to get back into it. Passing isn't as easy as it sounds or seems. You have to set up for passes and take them cleanly so as to not crash out yourself or the person you're passing. Point is: it takes time. And time spent is time lost.


I eventually clawed my way back into 24th spot for the finish. Among my worst results, but these things will happen.  


 This coming weekend marks the finale` of the OVCX 2012 season. Ans since I've decided to not go onto Nationals or Worlds this year it also marks the end of my 2012 season. I'm ready for the break, but at the same time I already know I'm going to miss racing. But I don't want to get too far ahead of myself, I still need to get through both this week and this weekend. Then we'll worry about missing the racing.

































.  








No comments: